Tuesday 10 March 2015

Book Review: Blond Date

Blonde Date: An Ivy Years Novella

Author: Sarina Bowen

Publisher: Rennie Road Books

Genre: New Adult Romance

Synopsis: In The Year We Hid Away we meet Blond Katie and Andy and we know how the date ended but what actually happened on the date? This novella tells their story

Thoughts: I really enjoyed this novella, the characters were relatable and funny. Katie is an outwardly beautiful and assured character but she shows that even those people can be unsecure and scared. Andy is calm but still has his insecurities. However he reminds me of a lot of my guy friends. Guys who are simply good guys. Guys who make you feel comfortable. All of Bowen's male characters have been generally good guys, only Bridger has been somewhat of a player and this is one of the aspects of her books that I really appreciate. Although the romantic lead is generally never actually an asshole, he is often portrayed as a bit dangerous. In this series this is never the case. These are regular guys (maybe a bit book smarter than average but I spend a great deal of time with people like that so...) and I appreciate that.

I also like that Katie gets to be the one who is sexually experienced and the one who takes initiative sexually. Neither of the other female leads so far in the Ivy series have been scared or scarred sexually but they are inexperienced, Katie has plenty of experience and expresses a general love for sex. This is freeing. 

As stated earlier they are both funny as well, and I love Andy's way of making the party more comfortable for Katie, so much so that I am stealing it for my English students. It is really hard to get them to talk and I think this game could work on them (I won't tell you what the game is, trust me you want to read about it).

I was actually sad when the story ended, I want to spend a lot more time with Katie and Andy!.,

Copyright ©2015 Zee from A Tea Stained Page. This post was originally posted by Zee from A Tea Stained Page. It should not be reproduced without express written permission  

No comments:

Post a Comment