Saturday 10 January 2015

Books for a Snowy Day

Image Credit Zee @ A Tea Stained Page 
An old picture taken in the hamlet my parents used to live in

"...Oh the weather outside is frightful..." keeps going through my head as the snow absolutely buckets down outside. Good thing I had planned on curling up with books and watching skiing on tv today. As the weather is so frightful I thought I would go through my archives and link to some good books to read on an "indoor day" like today.



For those of you who, like me, consider bookshops and libraries your happy place I highly recommend The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee. It is one of those books that makes you profoundly happy as a reader, or as I said at the time of the review:

"This, from me, slightly rambly passage is simply what this book did to me. It got me thinking. And herein lies perhaps the greatest strength in this book, it gets you thinking about books. Books you love. Books that mean something. Books that you read when that big thing happened in your life. Your life in books quite simply". 

My next selection is the Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett because I found out yesterday that there is a fifth book coming out in the series (YAY!). This is a series of books that make you laugh, but also think. So make your way to the Discworld starting with The Wee Free Men, then on to A Hat Full of Sky, followed by Wintersmith and finally (for now) I Shall Wear Midnight. You will not regret it.


My final recommendation is a book that I am going to tell you to read...but first you have to read the other books that lead up to it. It will be far more satisfactory if you do. But first, some background. Late last year my family and I were sitting around discussing what we would do if we won oodles of money. Would we continue working or would be go in to our boss and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine? My mom commented that if I had oodles of money I would be a perpetual student. Studying this and that without any real goal...and she is right. I LOVE learning. But possibly even more I love the atmosphere with others learning along side me and around me. Since I don't have oodles of money I do the next best thing, I teach. Teaching allows me to be around others learning while still learning myself and making (albeit pity-full small amounts) money. So to the book. My final recommendation is Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers. But first you have to read Strong Poison, and Have His Carcase to get the relationship between Harriet Vane and Lord Peter Wimsey. Trust me it will be well worth it. And thanks again to Nymeth, without you I would never have found this delightful series...oh and in case you are wondering what this has to do with being a student...Gaudy Night is set in a fictitious Oxford college and is delightfully filled with Dons and studying and academics.

Do you have any recommendations for books to curl up with when "the weather outside is frightful"?





Copyright ©2015 Zee from A Tea Stained Page. This post was originally posted by Zee from A Tea Stained Page. It should not be reproduced without express written permission

No comments:

Post a Comment