Saturday 28 February 2015

Bokrean The Annual Book Sale


Every year at the end of February since the 1920 book lovers have a high holiday. It is the start of the annual book sale. All the major publishers mark down books at the same time. In the past they have made special print runs for the sale, but anymore it is usually regular books that are sold at a much lower price than normally.

I happen to have one of the country's best independent bookstores in my town so I buy almost all of my non-ebooks from them and I always buy my book sale books from them. This year I ended up with two books on my first pass (I will probably go back again :)).

I bought two books in Swedish, both of them non-fiction

 The first one is En av oss (One of Us) by Åsne Seierstad which is due to be released in English on March 5th. It is the story of the massacre by Anders Behring Breivik of 77 Norwegians. It also weaves in the stories of those who were at Utøya. I've started reading this book and so far I am pretty hooked. It tries to tell the story of why. Why did this man kill so many of his fellow countrymen. I've wanted to read this book for quite some time and so it was a real find for me.
 The second book is one I hadn't heard of before but that I think looks really interesting. Utvandrarna och den stora depressionen (The Emigrants and the Great Depression) by Ulf Beijbom. Beijbom is an expert on the Swedish emigration to the US and in this book he looks at what came to be the end of it, the start of the Great Depression when the promised land became a nightmare for many of those who had left their home country. I think this will be a nice accompaniment to my history studies in the future so it is going on the shelf for now.

Have you bought any good books lately?
Copyright ©2015 Zee from A Tea Stained Page. This post was originally posted by Zee from A Tea Stained Page. It should not be reproduced without express written permission


No comments:

Post a Comment