Wednesday 11 February 2015

Teacher musings

I've been a teacher for just over four years now (I started on January 10th 2011). In that time I have become Head of the English Department, responsible for the economics program, teacher of the year (won once, nominated two more times) and most recently team leader.

The thing is, I don't FEEL like a good teacher. I feel like I have more bad days than good days, and I still want to scream at my colleagues when they ask my advice "WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN TEACHING FOR OODLES LONGER THAN ME!!!!!" Yet they keep asking my advice (I don't usually scream, I offer advice) so obviously I don't give bad advice. This past week some of this changed. I actually felt that, on balance I had had a good teacher week. Everything did not go the way I wanted. But on balance a good week.

So what changed?


Well I got myself a duckling (aka student teacher, he follows me around like a little duckling, so duckling he shall be here). And for the first time in my teacher career I have to continually explain WHY I am doing something. This means I have to THINK about what I do, in doing this I have come to realize that I actually do things for the right reasons. I have reasonable expectations. I do my job well. I still have a lot to learn. But I do my job well.

I'm writing this here so I can go back and read it when I feel like I suck at it. On the days when thinking isn't an option, when I just react. I am a good teacher.

Copyright ©2015 Zee from A Tea Stained Page. This post was originally posted by Zee from A Tea Stained Page. It should not be reproduced without express written permission

No comments:

Post a Comment